Parents Guide to COVID-19 Procedures ~
Oglebay Good Zoo is taking extra precautions to ensure a safe and fun experience for all participants of our Summer Education Programs. Please review our program procedures below.
- All participants and staff are required to wear a face mask for the duration of program, except while eating or swimming. Parents should also wear a mask or other face covering during the drop-off and pick-up process.
- We ask that you please provide your own mask. If you are unable to provide a mask, we will provide a mask to program participants.
- Upon arrival, program participants will undergo a pre-screening with assistance from their parents. This will include having temperature taken and answering the following questions. Any participant with a temperature above 100.4, experiencing one or more of these symptoms, or with recent exposure will not be allowed to attend camp.
- Are you currently experiencing cough, shortness of breath, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, or loss of taste/smell?
- Have you been exposed to anyone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 14 days?
- While at the zoo, participants and staff will maintain physical distancing as much as possible. We will also minimize the use of objects that are not easily disinfected or that have been touched by multiple people. Participants will each be provided with their own designated supplies to avoid sharing of such objects.
- All participants must come with their own water bottle labeled with their full name. Water fountains remain closed.
- Programs that are scheduled to go to the pool will maintain social-distancing practices while in and out of the water. If the pool is unable to open, participants will participate in an alternate activity at the zoo.
- Before care and after care MUST be scheduled at least one day in advance.
- Drop off will occur from 8:45 – 9:00 a.m. Staff will not be available at the drop-off area before this time unless you have scheduled before-care.
- Drive up to the main zoo entrance, but please do not exit your car until instructed to do so by a staff member.
- Only the child attending the program and one parent or guardian should exit the vehicle. Masks should be worn at this time.
- Once the pre-screening process is complete, please return to your vehicle. Parents and guardians will not be allowed to accompany their child into program areas.
- Pick-up will take place at the theater exit (to the left of the zoo’s main entrance) starting at 3:00 p.m.
- Only one parent or guardian should come to this door; all others should wait in their cars. Please have your ID ready.
- Please avoid forming a line at the door. If you must do so, please keep a 6 foot distance from others.
Program areas, toys, and other surfaces will be disinfected throughout the day, and again at the end of each day to ensure the safety of campers, families, and zoo staff. We will continue to follow state and local guidelines and update our practices as necessary. If you have any questions, please call the Good Zoo Education Department at 304-243-4068 or the Zoo Office at 304-243-4100. Thank you for your patience and cooperation!