Horseback Riding ~
Oglebay is dedicated to providing enjoyable horse experiences for riders of all ages and skill levels. In partnership with the Bethany College Equestrian Team, Oglebay offers trail rides, pony rides, lessons, EAGALA services, camps, and more. Trail rides are conducted on wide trails through the woods. All other rides take place in our indoor and outdoor riding arenas. The facility also offers a heated viewing room, lounge, and bathrooms. Guests may contact Oglebay Stables at 304-243-4042.
Tuesday – Sunday | 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
*Weather permitting, rides by reservation only
All rides are by reservation only, and space is limited. We recommend you call at least 48 hours in advance to make a reservation. Large groups or classroom sessions should be arranged two weeks in advance to allow for staffing, horses, and equipment. Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your reservation time to allow for safety and equipment preparation.
Horse Lover’s Camp at Oglebay
This exciting summer camp, offered in June and July, is designed for riders of all skill levels. Riders will learn about horse safety, grooming, how to trot independently, and more.
Seasonal Trail Rides
Take a relaxing, guided trail ride through the woods at Oglebay. Trail rides are conducted at a walking gait. Trail rides may be scheduled year-round.
Rates: $50.00* per rides, per hour
Availability is based on weather and trail conditions. Riders must be at least 9 years of age. Availability is determined by the Equine Operations Staff only. All prices are subject to additional applicable taxes and fees and are subject to change.
Learn to ride English or Western in our indoor and outdoor arenas. All lessons include grooming and tacking up.
Riders must be at least 7 years of age.
- $45.00* per rider, per hour
- $30.00* per rider, per ½ hour
- $30.00* per rider, per hour
*All prices are subject to additional applicable taxes and fees and are subject to change.
Perfect for the littlest cowboys and cowgirls!
Rates: $10.00* per rider, per 10 minutes
Suitable for children ages 2 and up. All prices are subject to additional applicable taxes and fees and are subject to change.
A non-mounted therapeutic service for individuals seeking growth in mental health and human development. All sessions are conducted by two EAGALA certified instructors. Please call 304-243-4042 for pricing.
Tours of the stable are conducted during regular business hours at no charge. No reservation is required.
- Please do not pet or feed the horses in the pastures or turnout areas. Come into the stables for a barn tour, for the safety and comfort of all guests and horses.
- Please do not enter any stall, pastures, or turnout areas without a staff member’s permission.
- All riders are required to wear an ASTM/SEI certified riding helmet. Certified helmets are provided at the stables for no extra charge.
- Riders are not permitted to ride double (more than one rider per horse) at any time.
- We recommend that all riders wear long pants and boots with a low heel. No skirts, dresses, or open-toed shoes.
- Riders may not use cell phones or cameras while mounted.
- Alcohol and smoking are prohibited at the stables.
For the courtesy of our guests and staff, please provide a 24-hour notice for cancellations. The total cost of the reserved service(s) will be applied to the credit card on file for no shows and guests who do not report cancellations 24 hours prior to the reservation time.
Oglebay is located in Wheeling, West Virginia on Rt. 88 N, just 4 miles off I-70 at exit 2A. The stables are located directly on Route 88, on the left.